Review for Exam 2
Layout of the Test
- Fill in the Blank - (20 questions - 2 points each - 40 points total)
- Short Answer - (6 questions - 5 points each - 30 points total)
- Long Answer - (3 questions - 10 points each - 30 points total)
- Bonus Question - (1 question - 2 points)
Material you shoud review
- Java concepts - distinction between language and VM/bytecode,
client-side Applets, design goals, shortcomings.
- OO concepts - inheritance, multiple-inheritance, polymorphism,
"pure virtual functions", "root" ancestor (Object), is-a / has-a / uses
relationships, overloading vs. overriding, deep vs. shallow copy.
- Be able to tell how the aforementioned OO concepts are implemented
- Java language features - primitives, implicit references,
implicitly declared virtual functions, finalize() destructor, interfaces,
inner classes, anonymous classes, Strings & arrays, no global
- How Java is similar / dissimilar to C & C++.
- Garbage Collection - How it works in theory and in practice, why
it's nice and what disadvantages it brings.
- Access Specifiers - public, private, protected, package (or
"naked"), and what they all mean.
- Packages - importing (including) packages, sub-packages, which
packages contain what, etc.
- Applets - init() start() stop() paint() methods, APPLET tag.
- GUI stuff in Java - java.awt stuff: Layout Managers, basic
- Event Handling - the role of *Listener, *Adapter, and *Event
- Threads - implements Runnable vs. Subclassing thread. run() &
start() methods, synchronization.
- Exceptions - how they are thrown, caught, etc.
The following is a repeat from the first test.
- Don't leave any questions blank. Remember, partial credit is better
than no credit at all.
- On the short-answer and mini-essay questions, I will give you
credit for giving me a CORRECT and COMPLETE answer, but not necessarily
for a LONG answer. Remember, brevity is golden.
- Always answer the bonus question. You're not going to lose any
points even if you get it wrong, and I get a big kick from reading your