CS 3100 - Review for Midterm
Please note that the following outline is tentative only and subject
to wild, capricious changes as Mark makes up his mind.
The test will tentatively be divided into three major sections.
- Matching - 40 questions @ 1 point each = 40 points - These
will test you on some of the terminology we have reviewed.
- Fill-in-the-Blank - 20 question @ 2 points each = 40
points - These questions will test you on some of the more important terms
and concepts we have discussed.
- Short Answer - 4 questions @ 5 points each = 20 points -
These questions will test you on some of the big-picture concepts we have
discussed. Some of them will ask you to compare / contrast two opposite or
- Bonus Question - 1 question @ 2 points
Things To Review
I have followed the book very closely in class and I will do so on the test
as well. You should therefore use the book as your core study material and pay
attention to the following things.
- The various sub-systems and structures described in Chapters
1-11 - Be sure that you understand "the big picture" that is being
presented. Opening paragraphs and closing summaries are your friends.
- Teminology - words that are displayed either in bold face
or in italics. This includes terms that appear in section headings.
- Lists - Anytime you see a bulleted or numbered list you
should read it. They will help you understand the various responsibilities
of a (sub-)system, a list of possible strategies, or a comparitive list.
- Diagrams and Charts - Figures that appear in the book can
help you to understand abstract concepts that are presented.
That's it. Good luck.